Nonprofit organizations are a lifeline to the diverse communities of Queens. They are an economic driver, providing 15 percent of the borough’s private employment. At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the borough’s nonprofits stretched every dollar to continue serving as a vital safety net for Queens families. By offering a wide range of programs and services, nonprofits empower Queens residents to build community and to participate in the democratic process.
Borough President Donovan Richards recognizes that nonprofit organizations are indispensable partners in government’s work to achieve equity for the people of Queens. To reach that goal, he has created the Department of Nonprofit Opportunities within the Queens Borough President’s Office to ensure that Queens Borough Hall strengthens its relationships with community-based organizations — particularly to assist, support, and empower small to mid-sized nonprofits located in Queens.
In the months ahead, the Department of Nonprofit Opportunities will:
- Serve as a clearinghouse of information on nonprofit resources.
- Sponsor webinars on fund raising and other issues relevant to nonprofits.
- Introduce grant makers to grant seekers.
- Host networking sessions to understand nonprofits’ evolving needs and priorities.
Join the Queens Borough President’s Nonprofit Network (NPN)
Queens-based nonprofit organizations are encouraged to join Borough President Richards’ Nonprofit Network (NPN), to receive emails about timely and relevant issues. To apply to join Borough President Richards’ Nonprofit Network, click here.
Nonprofit Network Member Organizations:
|Member Organization||Member Website|
|34th Avenue Open Streets Coalition||www.34aveopenstreets.com|
|Accentuating Learning, Inc.||N/A|
|Allen AME Church/Allen Community Senior Citizens Center||ACSCCNY.ORG|
|Allen Women's Resource Center||N/A|
|American Cancer Society||www.makingstrideswalk.org/queens|
|Ansob Center for Refugees Inc.||WWW.ANSOB.ORG|
|Apostolic Temple of Praise NY||www.apostolictopny.org|
|Asian Americans For Equality||aafe.org|
|Ballin 4 Peace||www.ballin4peace.org|
|Catholic Charities of Brooklyn and Queens||https://www.ccbq.org/|
|Catholic Migration Services Inc.||catholicmigration.org|
|Chabad of Northeastern Queens, Inc.||https://www.chabadnequeens.com/|
|Charles B. Wang Community Health Center||http://www.cbwchc.org/|
|CHAZAQ Organization USA, Inc.||https://chazaq.org/|
|Community Center of The Rockaway Peninsula||ccrock.org|
|COVID Care Neighbor Network||http://www.togetherwecanrc.com/|
|Dominico-American Society of Queens, Inc.||https://www.dominicoamerican.org/|
|Dress for Success Worldwide||www.dressforsuccess.org|
|DSI INTERNATIONAL, INC.||WWW.DSIINTERNATIONAL.ORG|
|East River Development Alliance Inc dba Urban Upbound||www.urbanupbound.org|
|First Presbyterian Church of Forest Hills NY||www.PresbyFH.org|
|Flushing Jewish Community Council, Inc.||https://www.FlushingJCC.net|
|Friends of Crocheron & John Golden Park||www.crocheronpark.org|
|Friends of Maple Grove Cemetery Inc.||www.friendsofmaplegrove.org|
|Garra (Legal name: Cidadao Global, Global Citizen Inc)||www.garrabr.org|
|God's Blessings Plan||www.GodsBlessingsPlan.org|
|Greater Ridgewood Youth Council, Inc.||https://www.greaterridgewoodyouthcouncil.org/|
|Haitian Americans United for Progress (HAUP)||www.haupinc.org|
|Hillcrest Jewish Center||https://www.hillcrestjc.org/|
|India Home, Inc.||www.indiahome.org|
|Indian Diaspora Council International||www.IndianDiasporaCouncil.org|
|Italian Charities of America||https://italiancharities.org/|
|Kehilat Sephardim of Ahavat Achim||www.kehilatpantry.org|
|Lewis Latimer House Museum||https://lewislatimerhouse.org|
|Neighborhood Housing Services of Jamaica, Inc.||WWW.NHSJ.ORG|
|New York City Arts in Education Roundtable||www.nycaieroundtable.org|
|New York Hall of Science||WWW.NYSCI.ORG|
|Ocean Bay Community Development Corp.||Oceanbaycdc.com|
|Old Astoria Neighborhood Association, Inc.||www.oana-ny.org|
|One Earth Conservation||https://www.oneearthconservation.org/|
|Parliamentarians of Queens NY||https://www.parliamentarians.org|
|Plant Powered Metro New York||https://www.plantpoweredmetrony.org|
|Positive Women United||www.positivewomenunited.org|
|Prospect Cemetery Association of Jamaica Village, Inc.||https://prospectcemeteryassociation.org/|
|Queens Botanical Garden Society, Inc.||queensbotanical.org|
|Queens Center Of The Arts / Queens Underground Film Festivals||queensunderground718.com|
|Queens Centers for Progress (QCP)||www.queenscp.org|
|Queens College Hillel||qchillel.org|
|Queens Community House||www.qchnyc.org|
|Queens Council on the Arts||www.queenscouncilarts.org|
|Queens Historical Society||https://queenshistoricalsociety.org/|
|Queens Jewish Community Council||http://www.qjcc.org|
|Queens Law Associates Not-For-Profit Corporation (DBA Queens Defenders)||queensdefenders.org|
|Queens Legal Services Corporation||https://www.legalservicesnyc.org/our-program/queens|
|Queens Public Library||https://www.queenslibrary.org|
|Queens Royal Priesthood, Inc.||www.queensroyalpriesthood.org/|
|Queensboro Council for Social Welfare||QCSW.org|
|Rabbinical Seminary of America / Yeshiva Chofetz Chaim||N/A|
|Rhythm N Dance LLC||rhythmndance.org|
|RIF Asylum Support||www.rifnyc.org|
|Rochdale New York||www.rochdalenewyork.org|
|Sanctuary for Families||https://sanctuaryforfamilies.org/|
|Services Now for Adult Persons, Inc.||www.snapqueens.org|
|Socrates Sculpture Park||https://socratessculpturepark.org/|
|Solace House, Inc.||www.solacehouseusa.org|
|South Asian Council for Social Services (SACSS)||www.sacssny.org|
|South Asian Marrow Association of Recruiters Inc (SAMAR)||www.samarinfo.org|
|Sunnyside District Management Association||/https://sunnysideshines.org/|
|Taiwanese American Association of New York, Inc.||www.taany.org|
|The Bowne House Historical Society, Inc.||www.bownehouse.org|
|The Greater Ridgewood Youth Council, Inc.||www.thegryc.org|
|The Long Island City Partnership, Inc.||licqns.com|
|The Richmond Hill Historical Society, Inc.||www.richmondhillhistory.org|
|The Young Women's Christian Association of Queens||ywcaqueens.org|
|Transitional Services for New York, Inc. (TSINY)||www.tsiny.org|
|Turkish Cultural Center||www.turkishculturalcenter.org|
|Visiting Neighbors, Inc.||https://www.visitingneighbors.org/|
|Voelker Orth Museum||www.vomuseum.org|
|Women For Afghan Women (WAW)||www.womenforafghanwomen.org|
|Yeshiva Darchei Torah||darchei.org|
|Zion Tabernacle F.B.H. Church Food Pantry||N/A|
- The Fund for the City of New York is committed to strengthening the City’s nonprofit sector through investments that promote equity and inclusion. Some of the Fund’s key initiatives, available to Queens nonprofits, include:
- Nonprofit Cash Flow Program — Organizations waiting for committed funds from government or foundation sources can apply for bridge financing. Please send inquiries to the Fund’s Vice President, Andrew Walrond, at [email protected].
- Cultural Arts Capital Loan Program — Small to mid-sized cultural arts organizations can receive help in jumpstarting capital projects funded through the Borough President’s Office or the City, if these projects have stalled because of financing issues. Click here to complete the Cultural Arts Capital Loan Fund Inquiry form.
- Partner Project/Incubator Program — Social entrepreneurs and established nonprofit organizations can apply for comprehensive administrative, operational, and financial support, enabling them to focus on achieving their missions. Click here for more information.
- Candid (formerly known as the Foundation Center of New York) is a leading expert in the world of nonprofit assistance. Click here to contact an online librarian about your nonprofit organization’s capacity-building needs.
- Queens Public Library collaborates with Candid on providing a Foundation Directory Online database, where you can search for potential grants. Click here to visit the database.
- Click here to visit Nonprofit New York, a vibrant network that educates and advocates with nonprofits throughout the state.
- In July 2020, the NYC Comptroller’s Office produced a report, titled, “The Economic Impact of NYC Nonprofit Organizations.” Click here to read it.