QBP RICHARDS TO ANNOUNCE MILLIONS IN FUNDING FOR QUEENS CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS
Tuesday, June 1 at 11AM
(May 28, 2021 at 10am)
QUEENS, NY – Recognizing the monumental roles Queens’ bountiful, diverse cultural institutions play in both the civic health of our communities and the economic health of our city, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. will host a press conference on Tuesday, June 1 to announce more than $11 million in critical funding spread across a half-dozen beloved Queens cultural organizations.
Following similar funding announcements for Queens’ healthcare, higher education and transportation systems earlier this month, Borough President Richards’ June 1 press conference will focus on significant allocations to the Queens Museum, the Queens Theatre and the New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, the Queens County Farm Museum in Floral Park and the Poppenhusen Institute in College Point and MoMA PS1 in Long Island City.
The projects being either partially or fully funded by Borough President Richards include:
· Queens Museum: Phase II of the facility’s renovation, including the creation of the borough’s first and only Children’s Museum for Creativity and Play, including enhanced educational space, a new HVAC and security systems, ADA-accessibility improvements and more.
· Queens Theatre: Renovation of the Claire Shulman Theatre, named for the trailblazing late former Queens Borough President.
· New York Hall of Science: Relocation of entrances, exists, throughways and pedestrian spaces ahead of the planned construction of a pre-K campus at NYSCI by the NYC School Construction Authority.
· Queens County Farm Museum: Phase II of the facility’s expansion, including additional educational and public programming space.
· Poppenhusen Institute: Restoration of exterior and steel fire exit windows and reconstruction of sandstone window surrounds.
· MoMA PS1: Improved accessibility throughout the museum through the creation of new entry points and increased mobility and ADA access between interior and exterior spaces.
Members of the media who plan on attending the June 1 press conference are asked to RSVP via email at [email protected] or via phone at 718-286-2640.
WHAT: Press Conference Announcing Allocations to Queens Cultural Institutions
WHEN: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 11AM
WHERE: Queens Museum
New York City Building
Flushing Meadows Corona Park
Queens, NY 11368
WHO: DONOVAN RICHARDS, Queens Borough President
Elected officials, cultural institution leadership and community leaders
Follow the Office of the Queens Borough President via @QnsBPRichards on Twitter and @QueensBPRichards on Facebook and Instagram